Chicken and Prawn Dumplings (Serves 10-12)
1 packet Chinese jiaozi dumpling wrappers
350g chicken mince
300g prawn meat
1 cup cabbage (finely chopped, I use combination of purple and green cabbage. Purple acts as a blood tonic and green serves the Liver/Gallbladder system)
1 onion (finely chopped - I use combination of purple and white. Purple serves red blood cells and white for Lungs )
2 spring onions (finely chopped)
1 tbsp oyster sauce (organic certified)
1 tbsp fish sauce (organic certified)
2 tsp sesame oil (organic certified)
2 tsp light soy sauce (organic certified)
2 tsp ginger (finely grated, I keep the skin)
½ tsp pepper (I use coarse for Stomach and digestion)
– 2 tbsp soy sauce (organic certified)
– 2 tbsp vinegar
– 1 tbsp sugar (organic certified)
– 1 tbsp sesame oil (organic certified)
– 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (optional)
1. Smash prawns with the side of a knife.
2. Mix together in a large bowl with chicken mince, then add remaining ingredients.
3. Mix in one direction until sticky and springy.
4. Place 1 tsp of filling in the middle of pastry and fold, pressing and crimping the edges into the middle. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5. Place 1 tbsp cooking oil you use in a frying pan and heat oil over medium heat. Add dumplings and pan fry until slightly golden. Add ½ cup hot water, cover with lid and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove lid and cook on medium low until the bottoms crisp up.
7. Serve with dipping sauce.
Tip: To boil the dumplings, place them in boiling water until they float to the surface. Add a cup of cold water and bring to boil. Dumplings are ready. If dumplings are frozen, add an additional cup of cold water and allow to boil for a third time.