Figs is a Sunnah superfood according to the Prophet Medicine and talked about in the Qur'an (Surah At-Tin) with many therapeutic values, which are highly nutritious and good for you. There are certain compounds in figs that are known to be toxic to human cancer cells, making figs a good anti-cancer food. They are rich in anti-oxidants helping to keep you healthy and slow the effects of aging.
Fig leaves are also useful for treating diabetes, skin cancer, fighting wrinkles caused by aging, and lowering cholesterol.
- Figs are great for male reproductive health which can increase sperm production and great for testicle health.
- Figs are high in fibre, which makes them a good source of essential minerals, such as magnesium, manganese, calcium which promotes bone density and potassium that helps lower blood pressure, lots of vitamins K and A as well as folate and choline. Fibre can also help promote regularity, preventing constipation, ulcerative colitis, colon cancer, fecal impaction, hemorrhoids, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Figs are known to help an individual sleep with its high content of magnesium, which is a mineral that is directly linked to improving the quality, duration, and tranquility of sleep. Figs also help regulate the metabolism, to help reduce sleep disorders and the occurrence of insomnia.
- Figs contain great amounts of potassium, which aids in cleaning or washing out the toxic depositions in the kidneys. They also aid in reducing the concentration of uric acid in the blood and reducing the chances of kidney damage and the formation of renal calculi in that organ.
- Figs have high amounts of soluble dietary fibre pectin. Pectin consumption could inhibit the spontaneous metastasis of prostate adenocarcinoma cells in rats. Fragments of pectin combine with galectin 3, a protein that plays a significant role in all stages of cancer.
- Copper and iron are essential for new blood cell formation. One cup of figs contains 17 percent of the recommended value of iron and 21 percent for copper. A deficiency in iron or copper can lead to anaemia.